In memory of Lisien Leon, (1995-2023),an amazing woman, volunteer, professional and friend, a warm and gentle soul. We are always missing you. Your will stay in our hearts, forever.
We are sad to share that Lisien León, Chair of IEEE PES Women in Power (WiP) has passed away.
Lisien was a much-loved member of the Peru Section and the Latin American region. The PES community sends its condolences to her parents, family, and friends.
Lisien Leon (1995-2023)x had a BSc in electrical engineering from the “National University of Engineering-Universidad Nacional de Ingeniera” in Peru. She was working in the Business Development area to introduce green mobility and other solutions made to measure that include smart, energy-efficient equipment powered by carbon-free energy. She was the current Chair of Women in Power 2022–2023. She was an active IEEE volunteer since 2016 and had held leadership positions such as Chair WiE and Secretary PES at her university. She was recognized as the outstanding volunteer in 2017 by the Perú Section. Then she became a professional. She was Chair Membership Development and Secretary PES for the IEEE Peru Section where she always stood out for being an outstanding volunteer. During this time, she mainly organized educational activities according to WiP objectives and to promote gender equality. She was a speaker at different kinds of events, such as “Reunión Nacional de Ramas Estudiantiles-National Meeting of Student Branches Peru” and participated in webinars and meetings to explain the mission and vision of WIE to new students and encourage them to open a WIE in their respective universities. She was interested in energy solutions friendly to the environment for consumers and wanted to work on the 7th Sustainable Development Goal: Affordable and Clean Energy with IEEE SIGHT.
Lisien was an inspiring volunteer inside IEEE, WIE, PES and Women in Power. She participated as a speaker in many activities throughout her IEEE volunteering, which she wanted to highlight the women’s roles in engineering. Inside Women in Power she was R9 Representative (2020) and Vice Chair (2021). She was the youngest chair selected of Women in Power (2022-2023) and promoter of many initiatives. Lisien was the founder of the WIP Mentoring Program in R9 in 2020 and participated in the organization of the fist and second version of the program. She continued to promote Women in Power Day, for which the fourth version was held in R9 in 2021 and the first version worldwide was commemorated in 2022. She coordinated the first Women in Power Global Summit in 2021 with a worldwide audience.
In memory of Lisien Leon, (1995-2023),an amazing woman, volunteer, professional and friend, a warm and gentle soul. We are always missing you. You will stay in our hearts, forever.
So there are some activities descriptions where she participated as a volunteer and leader and some awards:
- PES R9 Chapter Leaders Meeting in CONCAPAN, where she was speaker and shared all the work done with Women in Power and invited the assistant chairs to involve it in those activities. The CONCAPAN was held 8th to 11th November (2022).
- (Universidad Nacional de Ingeniería) Inspirate Girl Interview 2020. She gave an inspirational interview telling her story as an Engineer and volunteer.
- Workshop Women in Power Perú (2018). In join with a some companies and organizations she help in the staff team to held this wokrshop. The picture shows one of the activities with a pre-university audience.
- Recipient of Outstanding Volunteer Award of Peru Section (2017) for their contributions in their Student Branch, leadership and inspirational work.
- Recipient of scholarship to attend the IEEE Energy Conversion Congress & Expo 2019, Baltimore, USA.
- Founder of the WIP Mentoring Program in Region 9, the main objective of the program is to inspire the mentees through the personal experiences of the Mentors and give them tools to their new professional lives, the program is offered to students of last years and recent graduates.
- Promoter of Women in Power Day. She promoted the fourth version of WIP Day in R9 (2021) and the first worldwide version (2022).
- General Chair of the first Women in Power Global Summit in 2021
We collected some photos of Lisien participating in the event: